How to make a tough experience go as smoothly as possible
Snowmobiles are fun and exciting, and a great way to get to wherever you want to go, especially if you need to go somewhere without paved or plowed roads. When you get suited up and hop onto your snowmobile, the last thing you think about is getting into an accident.
Each year, snowmobile accidents are the cause of approximately 200 deaths and 14,000 injuries. Most often, these accidents are caused by excess speed, alcohol, driver inexperience, and poor judgment. And if they happen, you want to be prepared so you have everything you need to file a snowmobile insurance claim. Here’s a list of things to keep in mind if you get into a snowmobile accident to keep you safe and get all the information you need before you put the insurance paperwork through.
• If possible, move your snowmobile out of the way of other riders. If another snowmobile is involved, never leave the scene of an accident until speaking with the rider.
• If anyone is hurt, call 911.
• This is no time to lose your cool. Stay calm and be polite.
• Don’t admit any wrong doing or fault. If the police are called, answer questions and cooperate with the authorities.
• Make sure you get information regarding the vehicles and riders involved. This includes the year, make and model of the snowmobile, the rider’s name, address, phone numbers, insurance information and insurance policy number.
• If you’ve got your cell phone handy (you should always bring it along), be sure to take pictures of the vehicles involved and the area of the accident.
• If the police are called, get the report information.
Filing a claim
• Once all the commotion has died down, call the claim number on the back of your ID card.
• File a claim as soon as possible. You want your repairs to be reimbursed in a timely manner and once you know how much you’ll be covered for, you’ll be better able to assess what you can afford, or if you should just buy a new snowmobile rather than repair.
No one wants to get into an accident, but if you’re prepared, the experience of filing a snowmobile insurance claim will go a lot smoother.